Go Back   Zebra Forums > Chat Forums > Non-Zebra chat
Click to log in with Facebook

Old 03-04-2012, 09:58 AM
Hell Followed With Him

RIP Ronnie Montrose

The legendary guitarist and founder of "Montrose" died testerday at 64. Although a cause of death has not been announced the guitarist has battled prostate cancer for the past few years>
Old 03-04-2012, 10:34 PM

Very sad news.

I saw him playing live on the Arrow Rock Festival in The Netherlands back in 2004. De setlist contained only songs of the first 2 Montrose-albums. It was one of the best gigs I've ever seen. Of course, Sammy Hagar wasn't there, but his substitute did a awesome job (can't recall his name).

His guitarsound was unique, nobody sounded as Ronnie Montrose...
"Rock The Nation" is an album every Hard Rock- or Classic Rock-fan should have in his/her collection.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:15 PM

So sad. I've always been a big fan on Ronnie Montrose and have been lucky to see him many times, including 2 reunion shows with Sammy Hagar and the rest of the original Montrose. This came as a complete shock since 3 local concert dates were announced just the day before his death. RIP Ronnie. Thanks for all the music.
When a colorful rag is unfurled" - Neil Peart
Old 03-12-2012, 12:49 PM

Oh really? I didn't know he did reunion shows with the original Montrose members... That must be memorable evenings...

What's your favorite Gamma album?
Old 03-13-2012, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan View Post
Oh really? I didn't know he did reunion shows with the original Montrose members... That must be memorable evenings...

What's your favorite Gamma album?
My favorite Gamma album is Gamma I, but my favorite Gamma song is Voyager off of Gamma II.

Montrose reunited and played a 45 minute set as part of Sammy Hagar shows in 2003 and 2005. I think this was only for 6 to 10 shows on each tour, but I don't remember how many shows. I saw the shows in Concord, California both years. It was amazing.

I found this video on Youtube. It is from one of the shows I saw. Enjoy!

Old 03-13-2012, 11:38 AM

Wauw! Amazing! Great sound quality too...

You're a lucky guy! I wish I was there, I'm so jealous...

I got a nice story about Ronnie. On the day he played in The Netherlands on the Arrow Rock Festival (2004), me and a friend were drinking a beer (we have to, we're belgian... ) outside the tent-stage. Suddenly a not-so-young man was standing next to us. He said hello, we said hello back again. A few minutes later he left. One hour later we went to the stage to see the band Montrose, we saw the guitarplayer, looked to each other and said simultaneously: No! No! That was Ronnie Montrose standing next to us just 1 hour ago!
So we had the chance to have a chat with Ronnie Montrose (he looked relaxed and seemed to have time) and probably get a signature from him as well, but... we didn't recognized him! We still talk about this and we still regret it so much...
But anyway, the show was fantastic and we had a good time, that's the most important thing to remember...

Oh yeah, before I forget, my favorite is Gamma 2... but I will listen to Gamma 1 a couple of times, maybe I didn't recognize everything in the music...
Old 03-13-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan View Post
Wauw! Amazing! Great sound quality too...

You're a lucky guy! I wish I was there, I'm so jealous...

I got a nice story about Ronnie. On the day he played in The Netherlands on the Arrow Rock Festival (2004), me and a friend were drinking a beer (we have to, we're belgian... ) outside the tent-stage. Suddenly a not-so-young man was standing next to us. He said hello, we said hello back again. A few minutes later he left. One hour later we went to the stage to see the band Montrose, we saw the guitarplayer, looked to each other and said simultaneously: No! No! That was Ronnie Montrose standing next to us just 1 hour ago!
So we had the chance to have a chat with Ronnie Montrose (he looked relaxed and seemed to have time) and probably get a signature from him as well, but... we didn't recognized him! We still talk about this and we still regret it so much...
But anyway, the show was fantastic and we had a good time, that's the most important thing to remember...

Oh yeah, before I forget, my favorite is Gamma 2... but I will listen to Gamma 1 a couple of times, maybe I didn't recognize everything in the music...
I do feel really lucky to get the shows here in San Francisco that don't happen elsewhere. That said, I'd love to spend a year in Belgium to see the bands that never come here. You guys get Pagan's Mind, Europe, Hardcore Superstar, Tigertailz, Manowar, and Supertramp on any given year. That's my bucketlist right there, and none of those bands tour the USA. I keep thinking if I could get 3 of those at a single European festival, I would need to make the trip.

Where in Begium are you located? I've been to Belgium and couple times. I even saw Slade on my birthday in La Hulpe, Belgium 4 years ago.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:19 PM

I hosted Ronnie's last Dallas concert (October, 2011)...he met with each and every fan after the show for conversation, photos, autographs...very pleasant and personable! Oh, and we raised $700 for the American Red Cross...Ronnie raffled off the guitar he played in "Bad Motor Scooter".

Old 03-26-2012, 12:53 PM

This Ronnie Montrose tribute concert would be amazing. Both the original Montrose and Gamma bands playing with the likes of Joe Satriani and Neil Schon filling in for Ronnie. The only problem is that I already have concert tickets for a different concert the same night. I'm really sad to miss it:

http://legacy.roadrunnerrecords.com/...sitemID=171780
Old 04-11-2012, 09:21 AM
Hell Followed With Him

Just read that he didn't die of cancer, he died of a self inflicted gun shot wound. Very sad.....