PDA

View Full Version : Listen to my cover of Wait Until The Summer's Gone

Big Sun
11-01-2002, 09:47 PM
RIGHT CLICK HERE (http://www.adventuresportsla.com/summer.mp3) and choose "SAVE TARGET AS" to download the MP3

My life long friend the bassist for RiGiD and myself recorded a version of Wait Until The Summer's Gone when we were in the 12th grade in October 1987.

I guess it's not really that bad for 16 & 17 year olds but the vocals are pretty lame (it's not easy to sing like Randy!) and we had to program a Roland TR-707 for drums as we didn't have a drummer to work with @ the time.

The lead guitar track was layed down by a guy that is a friend of my uncle and he has played in N.O. area bands since the late 70's (he was in Chrome playing the same clubs as Zebra back then!). I wish I had the master tape of this guy from school trying to play the solo before I had my uncle's friend record over the kids hilarious but awful attempt to do the solo! It was crazy as he tried to do two tracks and the harmonies were waaay out of key!

Download it, take a listen and let me know what you think. Remember I was 16 at the time, so go easy on me. :)

RIGHT CLICK HERE (http://www.adventuresportsla.com/summer.mp3) and choose "SAVE TARGET AS" to download the MP3

yleekiyote
11-02-2002, 01:14 AM
Big Sun, I'm impressed. I might even put it on the radio. Do you have any of just the guitar and bass, with no drums or vocals? The guitar and bass are outstanding. I was going to mix in some live drums and see what it sounds like. Then, offer for everyone who wants a chance to put the best Randy to it.

Let me know if you got something like that I could use.

Big Sun
11-02-2002, 01:53 AM
Nah, man I don't have the master tape. I wish I did as I have a lot more of where that came from (Ozzy tunes, Zep, Rush etc.).

All I used to do high school was record 4 track jams and play parties. I miss making music. I'll have to get the 'ole Strat out & pickup a good sound card and start recording NEW stuff on the PC or buy a cheap new multi-track.

The drum sounds are SOOOO much better these days than that old drum machine. My friend is always willing to play bassist and he's prob the best bassist in N.O. by far (the Wait.. Summer recording was when he had only been playing for about 2 years) so I should take advantage of that.

Maybe we can cover Arabian Nights before the CD is released. :-)

yleekiyote
11-02-2002, 10:21 AM
Hey, it could happen. I got to get down my dusty Ludwigs and we can make it happen. Soundcards are cheap enough to grab one. You can probably get one on Ebay for cheap.

ZEBRAFREAK
11-02-2002, 11:18 AM
I ENJOYED LISTENING...IT'S MUCH BETTER THAN MY BAND DOING "BEARS"!!!

Eddie S
11-02-2002, 05:12 PM
I'm impressed-----some of that downhome Southern natural talent

Big Sun
11-03-2002, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

Let's see my friend and I were 17 & 16 when we recorded that, let's see what we can do now!

yleekiyote
11-03-2002, 10:28 PM
I'll put some drums to it, send me an MP3 of you and your pal.

ZEBRAFREAK
11-04-2002, 12:05 AM
JOHNNY RACE COULD PUT THE VODKA MARRACCA INTO THE MIX!!!

zebrachikodoom
11-04-2002, 08:56 AM
it's pretty good , the music is right on, and i'd love a copy of the sheet music or just the chords or something. good job good job

Bob2
11-04-2002, 09:05 PM
Nice Job!! Really great for 16 or 17

Big Sun
11-04-2002, 11:50 PM
Yes those were the days (mid to late 80's), all we did was record 4 track tunes!

Big Sun
11-05-2002, 03:43 AM
What's really funny is that my friend & I didn't have the lyrics back in '87 for Wait Until..... & one of our other friends attempted to write them out for us (it is kinda difficult to make out what Randy is saying in the tune) and they he was so off that it was hilarious.

Rolo and I ended up coming with our own version of lyrics and used those in this recording but I wish we would have used the other guy's crazy lyrics as they were would prob be extremely funny to everyone.

For instance: "Look into my eye" was "Reach For The Light"
and some crazy stuff about the "eye is dying and a criying"....... hehehehehhe

It's too easy to lyrics these days. The kids today have too many resources. :-) The sad thing is that I am sure that there aren't any teenagers out there recording Zebra tunes on their multitracks...... ah the good 'ole days.......

Zebrassiere
11-05-2002, 04:05 AM
HEY! I see we got some of the words right:D

OU812
11-05-2002, 09:29 AM
give that man a can of old milwalky beer . its on me

zebrachikodoom
11-05-2002, 09:32 AM
thanks bobby, hey who's that sexy chikodoom as your avatar?

Big Sun
11-07-2002, 03:21 AM
Hey Ylee, do you want me to send you some MP3's of us covering Ozzy, Van Halen, Zep, Rush, & originals? We have some pretty cool stuff. Especially for just using a 4 track and considering we were in high school.

It's fun to listen to that stuff though. It's a shame though when you walk into Guitar Center and see kids in high school playing Blink 182 riffs and they think they are guitar godz! I guess @ 31 I feel like I am getting old. :)

yleekiyote
11-07-2002, 10:51 AM
I know what you mean Big Sun. It's old school to them. I heard some kid say, "What, you mean Rush had more than 3 albums?" That floored me. I wish I had the tape of us back in 87. We rented a storage shed, that had free electric. Hey, lock it up and go. It was cool. Even in the middle of summer, the thing wasn't that bad. We did a demo of just guitar and drums. I took the tape and mixed in bass parts from a keyboard. It was killer to listen to, until my wife got the cassette eating mutt from hell, and the rest is history.

ZEBRAFREAK
11-08-2002, 01:03 AM
OH THAT'S SEXY ME Z-CHIK...THANKS FOR NOTICING!!!

OU812
11-10-2002, 01:20 AM
IT CHANGES EVERY 2 DAYS . IF BOBBY GETS HIS E MAILS STRAEIGHT I WILL SEND HIM HIS OWN CUSTOM AVATAR

ZEBRAFREAK
11-14-2002, 02:59 AM
I DON'T WANT THE BOBBLE-HEAD RANDY WAXING HIS AXE AVATAR!!!

OU812
11-14-2002, 05:39 PM
ok take the felix i made for you