PDA

View Full Version : What a show!

rushtrader
10-13-2002, 10:27 AM
Hi all!

Went to see Zebra last night at The Downtown. Our own DrLego (Petey) was doing sound and it sounded incredible! I think this is the best show I have seen them play in the last 20 years.

They played 5 songs from the upcoming (?) CD that I counted. There were a lot of people shooting video, including a professional multi-camera shoot. I did a hand-held shoot myself and there was a board recording made as well.

The setlist changed a bit from the last time I saw them (June at the Downtown). I am not going to even try to do this by memory, but rather point out the highlights...
- The new songs sounded great
- Rock Candy was moved to the encore - It fits much better there
- One More Chance and Take Your Fingers were split up

The band seemed very energetic. Between the energy of the band and the great sound everyone was pumped up - the audience responded well and the band seemed to feed off that energy even more.

I now have so much Randy and Zebra video backed up waiting to be processed that I might have grandchildren before it is all done :(

What did everyone else think of the show - you were there - I saw you!

RT

banterman
10-13-2002, 02:17 PM
yeah, it is the 3rd 'bra show i've seen this year, all at the Downtown, and quite possibly the best. Some other things that were different were that Randy didn't really do an acoustic solo set, unless you count the intro to "WBTD" to be a set (which I wouldn't!). This was fine with me since you can see Randy do his acoustic thing any weekend on Long Island and since it left room for more full band material. The new tune "Why" for example was done electric with Felix playing bass rather than as just Randy. It's a shame that "Time" wasn't performed but then as I said, you can pretty much see Randy do this solo any weekend anyway and it was nice to see some other 3.V stuff in the set like "You'll Never Know" and "Can't Live Without" which sounded particularly great. All the tunes they played rocked. "Bears" somehow seemed particularly rocking this time. Also nice was "Don't Walk Away" which I'd heard Randy do at the messageboard BBQ and was hoping would be brought back into the band's set.

The new tunes I can remember were of course "Arabian Nights," "Why," something about Angels (a song Randy wrote for a friend of his who survived cancer - not Guy apparently) and--well I guess I really don't know the titles too well (oh well).

Also this show was PACKED, man! even more so than the other downtown shows I went to this year.

The only way in which this show might have been inferior to the 8/3 Downtown show was that the only Zep cover was the same old "Ocean" as opposed to say, "Immigrant Song" which they did recently much to my delight, and the fact that there was no Chilly Willie joining in with his sax on "Slow Down."

Guy seems to have a bit of goatee or "van dyke" going on, making him look ultra-modern hip with his shaved head, while Felix still looks exactly like an older version of his 80s self with his layered long hair and other 80s rocker attributes a la "I'll wear my sunglasses at night." You gotta love that! Randy wore one of his cool hippie style button down shirts. Felix is damn fun to watch. That guy just loves rockin' out! He has this look on his face the whole time, esp. when he's on bass, that just says, "yeah" while the other guys are looking so serious as they play virtuoso style on their instruments. It's also kind of fun to watch Randy's face as he sings, of course, as he alternates between having his eyes shut like he wants to be totally focused on the music, and then opens up and looks wildly at the crowd. These guys are a very fun band to watch up close, and also the best band that you can get that close to without paying $300! Also worth watching at a show is our own Less Paul who isn't afraid to show his love for rock and roll and vodka!

Man, did "la la" ROCK!!!

Dan Dan the Banter Man

zebrachikodoom
10-13-2002, 04:29 PM
oh man what a fantastic show, i don't know if i'll ever recover i think i mald randy when i said hi and gave him a hug and kiss, johnny race got me a drink and his buddy bought us all shots and sue and i bought each other a round, i'm really small so it doesn't take much to get me loaded, i had such great time johnny race and i danced all night long. and sue, i can't say enough great things about that woman, she's just the best. and if it weren't for her i wouldn't have gone out. banterman rulz too, thanks for catching the key chain for me. every one from the board is great. johnny jabberjaw race is excellent. i think that sue and i should join race odessy.back up singers or fly girls

banterman
10-13-2002, 04:53 PM
yeah, well you guys certainly are some fly girls! Christine I gotta get that tape from you of Zebra doing the Rush tunes. which ones were they? Farewell to Kings and what?

zebrachikodoom
10-13-2002, 04:56 PM
passage to bangkok. no problem just email your address to me and i should hit the store and buy some more tapes
jamevil@hotmail.com

Sue
10-13-2002, 05:19 PM
Well, after the previous posts, there really isn't much left to say! The show was excellent-best I've seen them play in a long time.They were tight and on fire. They just seemed to be playing with extra enthusiasm and energy last night, especially on Arabian Nights. The part in the middle of the song where Randy does the Middle Eastern chant...I swear it was like he was possesed or having an outer-body experience. I was standing right up in front with Christine and Dan, so I saw it with my own eyes-very freaky.It's like Dan said Zebra is a very interesting band to watch play...between their personalities coming out and the facial expressions.

As usual,what made the night even better was hangin' out with fellow Zebraheads (Christine,Johnny,Chris and Dan)-you just make the shows that much better :D

drlego
10-13-2002, 06:55 PM
I cant believe no on mentioned Randy's guitar tone!
Didnt anyone notice how much thicker and fatter it sounded compared to last downtown shows? Also in my opinion the band was on the f'in money!
They worked hard! Went down to dressing room after show, and they all looked like they went 10 rounds with the champ! They played awsome!
And I must say. I am not a fan of drum solos, but Guy is just outrageous!

Rush thanks for the comp!

By the way guys....I recorded the show in its entirety! Maybe I will post it, and if Rush can find a min...he lock the audio to his video, and we can get that up too!

Anyway it was nice seeing all you, and all the people at the show!

I will let everyone know on the updates!

Lego
aka
PK

By the way if anyone needs webhosting let me know, ill hook ya up!

pk

swataz
10-13-2002, 08:37 PM
drlego-

glad you mentioned the guitar and I couldn't agree with you more, it was very obvious that the tone wasn't in its usual chalkboard scratching high end.

It made the songs from 3.V sound so much better -- as we all know that album's production and mixing left much to be desired.

Like one big HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS......

Anyway, I loved the show, they sounded tight and my ears are still feeling the effects at 8:30 PM Sunday.

OU812
10-13-2002, 08:47 PM
who did video for the show and did any one get an audio recording from the soundboard.

LessPaull
10-13-2002, 10:47 PM
Yes !! I'm still alive !! WOW !! What a show !! The Best I've ever seen ZEBRA !! Guitar Sound was incredible !! & thats only one pick-up in Randy's Black Beauty Les Paul !! I came...I saw ... & ZEBRA Kicked My Ass !! Always more fun hanging with a crew who loves what I'm hearing !! We all Rocked !! Thanks Z'Boom,Sue Banterman,e-zwider for lettimebemyself again !! "ROCK n ROLL !!

OU812
10-14-2002, 12:33 AM
less did you get the cd covers i sent

Sue
10-14-2002, 01:28 AM
Who else could you be? You're "Rock n' Roll Johnny Race!"

ZEBRAFREAK
10-14-2002, 02:27 AM
I MISSED THIS FRIGGIN SHOW AND EVERYONE IS SAYING HOW GOOD IT WAS!!!
I WAS TOO SICK TO GO...I AM SO PISSED!!!
I'M GLAD YOU ALL HAD A GOOD TIME!!!
I'M A JEALOUS FREAK RIGHT NOW!!!

zebrachikodoom
10-14-2002, 01:31 PM
bobby , sue and i looked for you most of the show but figured that you weren't their after a while, it just wasn't the same with out you. zebrafreak rulz

OU812
10-14-2002, 03:06 PM
don't let johnny race here that

rushtrader
10-14-2002, 03:39 PM
OK - Petey's on my ass, so I am uploading the video to my computer right now. Petey is fedex'ing copies of the soundboard CDs to me, so hopefully I will have them tomorrow.

I believe that petey is trying to get the band's permission to post some of the show.

A few caviats here:
(1) My shot was totally handheld and shot from the back of the club, so it is shaky - don't expect pro video here!
(2) I am going to mix in a slight bit of the audience sound. The tape sound came out a little bit distorted, but not badly and to use as ambience it should actually add to the mix, so it will not be a 100% board mix. They are too flat anyway.

If we get the OK from the band to do this, would anyone here be interested in seeing some of this?

RT

zebrachikodoom
10-14-2002, 03:56 PM
do you have to ask! sure i think we'd all want to see it

yleekiyote
10-14-2002, 04:51 PM
Rushtrader, get the ok from Randy and email some tunes. I'll put them up on the radio station for everyone to hear the quality of the gig.

ZEBRAFREAK
10-14-2002, 05:22 PM
THANKS ZEBRACHIK-O-DOOM...IT'S GOOD TO BE MISSED!!!
CAN'T WAIT TO SEE VIDEO!!!

Sue
10-14-2002, 05:55 PM
The show was great the first time-I'd love to re-live it!

zebrachikodoom
10-14-2002, 05:56 PM
definately, well said sue

OU812
10-14-2002, 06:11 PM
no i think it was well well said. yo yo yo sue is in the house she's hanging with her peeps drinking 40s sporting her new gold teeth . you go girl.

Sue
10-14-2002, 11:41 PM
Ewww...gold teeth? Not me. Mine are as white as me and they're my own. If I drank a 40, I'd be unconscious.

Sue
10-14-2002, 11:44 PM
Hangin' with my peeps-I'm down wit dat!

ZEBRAFREAK
10-15-2002, 12:23 AM
SUP!!! MY HOMIES!!!

rushtrader
10-15-2002, 12:03 PM
OK, so i managed to crash my computer :)

I grabbed an mp3 of the opening tune (any guesses as to what it was?) from petey and put it to video. It turns out that my video soundtrack is too distorted to use, but there is enough audience bleed into the vocal mics that the board recording does not sound flat.

I am exporting the video to a 320x240 quicktime which I will send over to petey. From there it's up to him... Feel free to bombard him with requests to put it up!

Edit -> OK - who write this quicktime crap? 140 meg for a 3.V minute clip? Geez! I think I'll save it as a .AVI and run it through a DivX compressor!

Edit 2 -> DivX with mp3 audio: 13 MB! I love freeware!!!! Oh petey, i forgot the password to the server to upload it to you.

:)
RT

OU812
10-15-2002, 02:05 PM
RT I HAVE SOME NEW LIVE 2002 RUSH SOUNDBOARD ON THE WAY.

drlego
10-15-2002, 03:51 PM
Dude!...

save it as quicktime. My dad has an awsome set of tools, I know how to compress it for the web! :)

The MP3's of sat show is online here at the site, just waiting for Randy , Felix and Guy to give me the thumbs up.

As soon as I know, you will know!

Also Rob from RGP video did a pro 3 camera shoot, which he locked my sound to. I will be getting a copy of that video as well!
]
Otay!

lego

J.B.
10-15-2002, 04:13 PM
If you were to upload this new show as MP3, would it be edited properly so the track transitions were smooth and seemless when compiled together on disk?????

OU812
10-15-2002, 04:46 PM
AT THIS TIME RANDY HAS SHOT DOWN THE LIVE RECORDING OF ZEBRA FOR LIVE 365 . RANDY IS A VERY CRITICAL ON HOW IT SOUNDS AND HOW IT SOUNDED THAT NIGHT SO GOOD LUCK

rushtrader
10-15-2002, 11:37 PM
This is a major bitch. Ever since I loaded Windows Media 9, none of my Sonic Foundry tools work. Even after I removed the WM9 stuff, still no-go. I could do this whole thing in an afternoon with Vegas Video!

:(
RT