PDA

View Full Version : House Of Blues Review

yleekiyote
09-14-2002, 03:14 AM
After leaving H.O.B., I was feeling blue. To spend $21.00 bucks for the show, another $14.00 for parking, I'm left with tired feet. The show kicked off with a great opening band. They played Mellencamp to the Dobbie Brother's. Zebra came out around 9:45 and played for only 1 Hr. and 45 minutes. To top it off, they played no Zep. Either someone was not feeling well or H.O.B., has some very strick guidelines. Part of me feels like I've been cheated the other part not. They played a triple play of new stuff, and anounced that the album is scheduled for March 11th, which Felix said "of what year?" They sounded great and in rare form. Played just about the entire first album, including Slow Down, only 2 from N.T.L. and a few from 3.V. All in all, it was ok, not one of their best outings. I'm sure OU812 will get some info. Sorry for not recording the show guys. OU812 will set me up with something real soon, and I'll air it. Randy seemed joking at times, saying stuff like "Your grandma knows this one". At one time Randy announced they were going to play Can't Live Without and soeone yelled "Bears", he said alright, we'll play bears, then afterward, they played C.L.W. It was an odd night folks. There's always a first, hope it was their last.:(

Sue
09-14-2002, 11:01 AM
Man, you sound blue :( I know those "wierd" nights when Zebra just doesn't seem to be "on"-****! Thank God they don't happen often. But NO Zep, that's like, Sacreligious! $14.00 for parking...and you thought NY was bad?!?!? Sorry you're bummed Ylee.

Eddie S
09-14-2002, 03:09 PM
Randy's comments may have been due to what the Times Picayune Lagniappe section called Zebra "the granddaddy of hard rock bands in N O"

Big Sun
09-14-2002, 05:33 PM
I thought the H.O.B. show was a little wierd myself. See, I have been sick all week and I was heavliy medicated on hydrocodone (Vicodin) cough syrup for the past two days and probably had a fever of around 100 during the entire show. So, I didn't know if it was me or if they were a little "off".

From where I was (on the floor about 5 rows deep, in the middle) the mix wasn't very good. I could really only hear distorted bass and drums. Randy's vocals and guitar were both "drowned" out. Again, I was feeling pretty bad and my ears were a little "stopped" up. I have found that show @ HOB sound much better if you stand near the soundboard or upstairs in the middle.

But the highlight of the nite for me was when my wife and I went backstage to meet up with Randy and took pictures. He was extremely nice (first time I have met Randy) and polite. He really took the time out to make sure that we got many pics and even had us take an extra pic of every shot to make sure that we would have good pictures. Plus he dragged Guy out so we could have a pic taken with the whole band. We told Randy that he didn't have "hunt Guy down" for us to take pictures with the entire band but Randy insisted.

Randy told someone backstage that he only had three hours of sleep the day before the HOB show and he seemed extremely tired. This may be why Zebra seemed to be a little off during the show.

HOB Tips:
We bought our tix the week before @ the HOB box office and I think they were only $15 a piece and if you park in Canal Place, HOB will validate the parking (our parking costs $4 Fri. nite).

OU812
09-14-2002, 09:09 PM
House of blues review . I got there a little early to set up my camcorder and dvd burner , had a chance to hear two songs for sound check that sounded fregan great. I had to sign a video waver form from the house of blues so i could video the show . Hung out for about hour got my back stage pass . set my levels on the recorder then left went home till 8:30 pm. I returned back to the club at 9:20 it was loaded down full house . Zebra came on at 9:45 , can you beleive that 9:45 anyway i thought the guys looked ready to burn down the house , the band played for 90 minutes thats it because there was another event taking place latter that night. I was set up right behind the soundboard the sound was excellent loud crisp and clean with the bass drum punching the walls down. The lights at the house of blues are very very high end its not the same thing you see when zebra plays in clubs it was a kick ass light show . Hungout with YLEEKIYOTE for the whole show he seems to be down to earth and a cool guy. I did hear ou812 from some people in the crowd but i could not tell who or where it was coming from I was to busy filming. I was fed beers for free from people i knew at the show all night . After the concert ended I went back stage for an hour ate and drank some more and did some heavy flirting with guys girl friend . at this point i was on maybe my 10th beer and feeling no pain I saw a lot of people that i see every time zebra plays. My over all review of the night A+ AS FAR AS THE VIDEO I SHOT ................. LET ME PUT IT THIS WAY IT CAME OUT < ****ING GREAT > I USED A $3000 DOLLAR DIGITAL CAMERA AND GOT THE SOUND RIGHT FROM THE BOARD . IF YOU WERE TO SEE THIS YOU WOULD DIE . I BET THE ONLY WAY IT COULD EVER GET ANY BETTER IS IF IT WAS DONE BY A PROFESSIONAL CREW THATS HOW GOOD IT IS . NOW THE FIRST THING I HAVE TO DO IS EDIT THE CONCERT AND MAKE SOME MENUS TO MAKE IT LOOK LIKE A REAL DVD CONCERT. GUY AND I WILL WORK 0N IT SOON. ((((((((((( I CANT MAKE COPYS FOR ANY ONE YET (( SORRY )) RANDY FELIX AND GUY ASKED ME TO KEEP IT TO MYSELF FOR A WHILE . AFTER GUY AND I EDIT THE VIDEO AND MAKE THE COVER FOR IT I WILL TALK TO RANDY ABOUT SELLING IT ON THE ZEBRA WEB SITE .I THINK WANTS HE CHECKS IT OUT IT WILL BE A GO TO SELL. AS FOR THE AUDIO IM GOING TO TALK TO RANDY THIS SUNDAY TO SEE IF IT WILL BE OK TO LET YLEEK ADD THE WHOLE CONCERT TO HIS ZEBRA INTERNET RADIO live365 SO STAY TUNED. on another note went in to work today STUNG hard draging my ass all day . took 2 goodys drank alot of water and said over and over i will never do this again. last YOU guys need to send me some pictures so i can make you your custom avatar you know its that little picture i use under my OU812 . e mail me 3 close up shots of what ever you want.

zebragirl
09-15-2002, 03:12 AM
I have to say I really enjoyed the show. I was great!
Fingers sounded awesome. I wish they would have played longer.
The best part for me was meeting Randy again. He is so nice. He gave me & my husband alot of attention, & we got some cool pics to share.
OU812- I hope the video is as good as you say & will definately pay for a copy(DVD?)

yleekiyote
09-15-2002, 10:27 AM
Zebragirl, I was right behind the camera, he did an excellent job catching Randy at his solos and the band. Only one small flaw, it was Who's Behind The Door. Randy didn't get the notice to schedule 55 minutes of music, then take a 5 minute break for tape exchanges.

DANNY O.
09-16-2002, 01:54 AM
WHATS UP GUYS AND GALS, DAN O. HERE ITS BEEN AWHILE, I WAS AT THE SHOW ABOUT 2 "ROWS" IN FRONT OF RANDY, THOUGHT THE SHOW WAS GREAT, PROBLEM WITH THE SHORT SET WAS THE FRIGGIN H.O.B RULES. HOW MANY OF YOU NOTICED THAT RANDY HAD HIS BLACK LES PAUL AS HIS BACK UP, TRIED TO GET HIM TO PLAY IT, THINK HE WOULD HAVE IF THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN ALLOWED TO DO A SECOND ENCORE, ALA ZEPP. THOUGHT MY LIFE HAS CHANGED WAS THE HIGHLIGHT OF THE SHOW, ON BRADS COMP. RIGHT NOW MINE STILL WHACKED OUT AND LEFT MY SYNGENTA JOB SO I'LL KEEP IN TOUCH WHEN I CAN. SEE YOU GUYS AT THE OYSTER FESTIVAL!!!!!!!! TAKE CARE.

DANNY O.
09-16-2002, 01:59 AM
HEY YLEE, THE H.O.B. BASICALLY ****S!!!!!!!!

OU812
09-16-2002, 11:44 AM
at least it beats the shit out of the laplace club.

jeff
09-16-2002, 08:22 PM
I also made it to the show (kinda late reporting ). I can say that I enjoyed the show but I wish they would have played a little longer.I don't think that I have ever seen them not play some Zep. songs. Other than that I did not like the way the pricing of the tickets went. The calendar from the hob advertised $15 tickets, I had a freind that called and they said it would be $18 tickets when I arrived their they said it would be $21 show date tickets? Not trying to sound tight but I don't like to get the runaround. Any how it was still a good deal for the show that they put on. The sound was crisp and clear and the light show was great. I recon you get what you pay for? Got to see some old freinds also. Can't wait for the oyster festival.
Jeff

snacktwo
09-17-2002, 04:24 AM
Everybody- No ill will, but you paid to see Zebra and not Led Zep.
I`m originally from N.Y. (Florida Now) and don`t ever get to see them so I would be happy to see Zebra do all their originals. As far as the amount of time they played- one hour and forty five minutes is what almost all headliners play. If anything you got fifteen more minutes then most bands of this caliber. The only real complaint I see here is the fourteen dollars for parking, (CRAZY). The House Of Blues in Florida does not charge for parking. Otherwise it sounds like a good show. It probably felt like a short show because it was so darn good. Good things come to a quick end!

C

Eddie S
09-17-2002, 10:02 PM
I agree,this is about Zebra, not Zep.

jeff
09-17-2002, 11:42 PM
Sorry snacktwo I guess I did not see it that way. I guess I'm spoiled when I get to see them so often.

Jeff

yleekiyote
09-18-2002, 11:09 AM
Snacktwo, I'm sure H.O.B. in Florida is not located in the historic part of your city, next to a tourist location, surrounded by Bourbon street party goers, and various site seers. So, having their own parking would be a little tight on Decatur. Second thing, with Zebra, we all know that they love to perform. Hey, I love all there tunes too, but for $21.00, I should hear more than just 1 3/4 hrs of music. At a local dive a few blocks away, I've seen them bring the house down and play for 2 to 3 hrs, and pay less. It's just that H.O.B. has their certain format, and time schedule. It's just my opinion that H.O.B. should thank Zebra for a packed house, and great liquor sales, and allow them an extra 1/2 hour to play something that began here in New Orleans. Zebra started out playing Zep and other greats to get recognized in the same stomping grounds, but the H.O.B. does not care, they care about meeting their schedule. They take a cookie cutter and say, ok if you want to perform, you only have 2 hrs, and that includes teering down. You got to let the talent do it's best to showcase itself, or it becomes like everything else in this world, watered down and labeled. That's exactly why music ****s these days. That mentality of bottling up talent by giving them time schedules and selected songs they are allowed the play. Hell, why have the band there at all, just spin their records and place posters on the wall, and charge people admission. Not to bitch at you Snacktwo, but when your use to a certain way of life, who is trying to change it and why? I know Zebra would have loved to play more, or they wouldn't be doing something that most bands in the 70's and 80's, are not doing today. Zebra entertains use for the sole purpose to play.

OU812
09-19-2002, 12:55 AM
after talking to guy he said that randy was pissed off about the 90 min set next time it will only be zebra the whole night.

DANNY O.
09-19-2002, 01:03 AM
WELL SAID YLEE, AND YES ZEBRA IS ABOUT ZEPPELIN, ITS THE BANDS MAIN INFLUENCE, SO WHY NOT PAY HOMAGE TO YOUR IDOL, HECK THEY RECORDED "THE OCEAN" DON'T GET ME WRONG THOUGH I GO TO ZEBRA SHOWS TO SEE ZEBRA AND HEAR ZEBRA, BUT THEY HAVE BEEN INCORPORATING ZEPP. IN THEIR SETS FOR OVER 27 YEARS NOW!!!!!!! THE HOUSE OF BLUES IS A FRICKEN JOKE I HAVE SEEN QUEENSRYCHE THERE AND SAMMY HAGOR AND WATCHED THE SHOWS ON A FRICKEN VIDEO MONITOR BECAUSE THEY PACKED THE HOUSE WITH ABOUT 1000 PEOPLE TO MANY!!!!!!! I'LL NEVER GO BACK, I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT RANDY AND THE GUYS WERE UPSET ABOUT NOT GETTING TO GIVE THE CROWD WHAT THEY WANTED AND THAT WAS A SECOND ENCORE.

OU812
09-19-2002, 01:08 AM
well you got to look at it this way danny the hob is gonna draw heavy if its a major act. So if you want to get close you better get there 1 or 2 hours before show time .

DANNY O.
09-19-2002, 01:15 AM
I HEAR YOU OU, BUT THE PLACE CAN HOLD ONLY SO MANY PEOPLE, BESIDES BANDS OF THAT STATUE SHOULD NOT EVEN PLAY THOSE ARENAS, AND IF THEY DO YOU SELL SO MANY TICKETS AND THATS IT. PERIOD, IF SOMETHING WOULD HAVE HAPPENED IN THE BUILDING THOSE NIGHTS THEY WOULD HAVE HAD A MINI CINCY "THE WHO" ON THEIR HANDS!!!!!!!!!

OU812
09-19-2002, 01:35 AM
GOOD POINT I WENT TO SEE QR IT WAS OVER KILL WITH PEOPLE I COULD NOT SEE A THING . WASTE OF MONEY AND TIME.

ButNoMore
09-19-2002, 03:52 PM
All the problems you found with the show were due to strict rules and time constraints of the House Of Blues. None of us were pleased with the show ending after 90 min. There were more songs that the Guys wanted to play. I know personally that Randy was very unhappy with having to end the show like he did.

Have a great day,

Eddie Matranga Jr.

OU812
09-20-2002, 12:05 AM
EDDIE THE VIDEO CAME OUT GREAT CALL ME AT N.O.A.V

ButNoMore
09-20-2002, 12:15 AM
I will do it thanks!

Eddie