PDA

View Full Version : backmasked/buried vocals

Dylan Roberts
09-13-2002, 05:35 PM
It's been a while since I've actually LISTENED to Zebra (Lost the recordings I had...but relax, I'll be burning some of their tunes off the net to refresh myself)..BUT..One of the things which I recall being very interesting was that somewhere in "Who's Behind The Door" there was a voice saying something rather faintly..it was somewhat buried in the mix. Has ANYONE ever figured out what it is ?

Dylan

You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
The Gods demand a cappucino NOW !!!

Zebra4Life
09-13-2002, 06:07 PM
I believe it is, and I will be corrected if I am wrong. "This is the sound of a Thousand Snapping Shrimp."

ZEBRAFREAK
09-13-2002, 11:29 PM
YOUR RIGHT!!!

Dylan Roberts
09-14-2002, 10:41 AM
A thousand snapping shrimp ???? What in the hell is THAT all about ???? Are the shrimp angry ?? Or are they keeping time ??? Or are they actually being peeled and eaten ???
I suppose this must have something to do with the band's upbringing in Louisiana, which is, I suppose, a good place for shrimping (Or so said Bubba Gump)..Man, I should have guessed it would be some sort of thing like that..Those folks from La. Are pretty wierd anyhow..When I drove through there, I stopped in some small backwater town and had to get my oil changed...the townspeople spoke some sort of garbled language that only drunken creoles could understand, and they kept trying to send me to some Walmart which was "Doun tha duht rud ta thee lift but se'en mi fra heah, it'ull beeea onna ri, jes kee en aaaeey ot fert." (Or something to that effect..) Anyways, after traversing some bayou areas and driving over armadillos and a few snakes for about fifty miles, I soon figured out that A) There was no wal-mart in that county, and B) The dirt road simply parallelled the main highway. So, I drove onto New Orleans, where I could find some people who at least had a glimmer of the concept of communication in full and coherent sentances.

And now for your moment of Zen: What is the sound of a one-handed shrimp snapping ???

Dylan

Eulalie
09-14-2002, 11:46 AM
The snapping shrimp (Alpheus heterochaelis) produces a loud snapping sound by an extremely rapid closure of its snapper claw. It was commonly believed that the sound is generated when the two claw surfaces hit each other. We show that the sound, in fact, originates from the collapse of a cavitation bubble. During the rapid snapper claw closure a high-velocity water jet is emitted from the claw with a speed exceeding cavitation conditions. Hydrophone measurements in conjunction with time-controlled high-speed imaging of claw closure demonstrate that the sound is emitted at the cavitation bubble collapse. A model for the bubble dynamics based on a Rayleigh-Plesset type equation quantitatively accounts for the time dependence of the bubble radius and for the emitted sound. - Read all about it in the 22 September 2000 issue of Science.

We now also report that a short, intense flash of light is emitted as the bubble collapses, indicating that extreme pressures and temperatures of at least 5,000 K must exist inside the bubble at the point of collapse. We have dubbed this phenomenon 'shrimpoluminescence' — the first observation, to our knowledge, of this mode of light production in any animal — because of its apparent similarity to sonoluminescence, the light emission from a bubble periodically driven by ultrasound.

Posted by Zebra4Life

Dylan Roberts
09-14-2002, 12:55 PM
Oh...but what in the heck does THAT have to do with anything in the song ??? I've always felt that if one is writing a song which is about a relatively complex subject which compares and contrasts the finer points of self examination and personal placement/definition within the confines of the unknown and semi-known universe, attempts to pinpoint any possible precesnce of a deity, and that which lyrically finally arrives at expressing the idea that we are but "animals in a preserve" and that we barely know as much as a flower does about who's behind the door, then I'd be damned sure to want to make any backmasked message more intelligent than something about shrimp using a weapon of such sorts to kill or stun it's prey. Granted, as a metaphor, it's quite funny, and that nature is quite a remarkable mother of invention...but somehow it seems to be rather lacking in it's appropriateness.
Perhaps it's a statement designed to enlighten the listener about the environment. I certainly had to do some research to find out what in the hell all this was about, and learned much about the afforementioned species of shrimp in my ventures...
Then again, I suppose the band could have been somewhat stoned while the recording was going on and the comment came out of the rather fuzzy left-field of someone's unconsciously collective subconscious. It might have been some deep attempt to reach in deep and pull out one of Jung's archetypes..or maybe it was all just bullshit.

Dylan

Your shrimp may have the clap, but mine can WHISTLE. Can you beat that ????

http://www.whistlingshrimp.com/ (http://http://www.whistlingshrimp.com/)

J.B.
09-14-2002, 11:18 PM
Dylan,

You're a trip!!! I can't imagine what you might write stoned!
Or maybe...

The story behind the shrimp....
The band wanted to insert "something" in the background at a particular part of the song and for a particular duration. They had a sound effects tape where each sound started with "this is the sound of"...and "This is the sound of a thousand snapping shrimp" was the exact length they were looking for.

Sorry to disappoint you which such a shallow explanation, but that's the truth! Nothing more to it than that!

Did you find the guitar tabs on the shared files directory at Zebraband?

RobertDLG
09-15-2002, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by Zebra4Life
I believe it is, and I will be corrected if I am wrong. "This is the sound of a Thousand Snapping Shrimp." Yep, or "These are the sounds of thousands of snapping shrimp." It would be cool if someone could find the original sound effects tape.

A post on the ZebraBand mailing list a while back described how Randy Jackson was asked about this during an interview on a call-in radio show.

Bob Dallago
09-15-2002, 01:25 AM
Yhea,

That would be soooooo cool if we could find that bit of tape that said snapping or thousands of snapping or shrimp crying or whatever the heck it says.

Then we could listen to that for 8 more years while we wait for a new Zebra CD.

That would make my life complete!

ZEBRAFREAK
09-15-2002, 03:05 AM
NEW CD IN MARCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

OU812
09-15-2002, 12:16 PM
with no snapping shrimp

Dylan Roberts
09-16-2002, 05:51 PM
What and how do I think when I'm stoned??? Good question..I've decided I simply HAD to investigate this matter further, and felt it would be fun to share with you an example..I took the liberty of gathering up some ummm....contraband, shall we say, and wrote the first part of my message while "under the influence"..And now you're stuck along for the ride...Buckle up, it's going to be a bumpy night.. sit back, and remember to breathe...(Inhale, exhale, cough cough)

Ahh yes, this is the message thread which never dies...The human species continues to astound me with it's brilliance...I'm sorry, what was I here to talk about ???
Oh yes, now I remember. I apologize, my brain cells were meandering for a moment..meandering. Such a nice word. Makes me think of a river...riiiiivvvveeerrrrr......oooh, it's a thin blue snake bellying it's way through the lush green land, constantly returning stones to the sea......
I really don't tend to write anything brilliant when I'm stoned- I always get hungry in the middle of some deep thought concerning the "inner nature of string in relationship to the rotation of the earth in accordance to the possibility that sometimes occasionally almost once in a great while we thing there will be an apocolypse pretty soon but isn't guacamole damned good anyways ?" and then wander off to the fridge in search of something that I'm pretty sure exists in this strange funny thing we call life (Of course, I realize that if it DOES, in fact, EXIST, it must heceforth THINK...and do I REALLY want to eat anything that can think ?? Perhaps this thing can also talk..in which case we'd better have a long conversation with eachother so as to make sure that it won't objec t to me eating it..Of course, it may simply be an inferior life form, and so it's opinion doesn't really matter...) I'm sorry, was I rambling? It must have been the fault of the carpet- it's distracting, and it's doing that on purpouse. I have to wonder, though: are there any Freudian implications to anything I've said ??? I'd ask god to help, but it's obviously been a long time since god has made any sort of confirmable appearance. Perhaps Neitszche was right...I wonder where I can get some nachos ?

(After I've come down)

Actually, I DID recently write one interesting song about being high on opium... (I wrote it AFTER the experience was over)..It was called "Never Coming Down" and is available on my mp3 site ..It's actually quite a cool tune..Opium sort of gives you this really interesting feeling of just sort of...floating..and everything is pretty surreal and happy. Even though the song could be seen as almost an anti-drug song, I prefer to see it as being a way to say "I'm comfortable right now, and the whole idea of leaving this wierd place doesn't bother me in the least bit, so don't worry, goodbye mother, good-bye dad, this is the strangest life I've ever never had"..http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/423/dylan_roberts.html (http://http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/423/dylan_roberts.html)
As for how I actually got my hands on pure opium in the year 2002, that's quite an interesting story..but we'll save it for another time, to give Paul Harvey a chance to come in and spout his famous line..But, in the meantime, we'll let Walter Cronkite end this one with, "...And YOU were there..."

Feel free to give the mp3 a spin and let me know what you think...
Dylan

Forum Rules:
You may NOTpost new threads
You may NOT post replies
You may NOT post attachments
You may NOT edit your posts
The gods demand that Oprah be made to strip nude for pennies.

J.B.
09-16-2002, 08:00 PM
Dylan.

Shine on you crazy diamond!
Are you concerned that one of these daze you might never come down.....or is it a better place?

OU812
09-16-2002, 08:04 PM
great book report you get an A .

Doc
09-17-2002, 08:16 AM
for 20 yrs i've wondered what they were saying. thanks for clearing it up.

Dylan Roberts
09-17-2002, 04:32 PM
..Book report...hehe...That just about had me falling off my chair..

As far as whether or not one existance (life) is better than the other (not life), I really can't be the judge because I've only experienced one of them..And no, I'm not worried about tripping myself out into oblivion, because I've always taken great precautions when it comes to getting myself "experienced"..I tend to research my methods of transport quite thoroughly before stepping into the vehicle..(I've used quite a lot of strange ones in my time, too, and many of them were rather difficult to come by.) Getting dosage amounts correct is a MUST.

However, I must say this: if you're going to try any drugs at all, do your research and think quite heavily on the pros and cons before ingesting them in whatever shape or form. Make sure you don't have an addictive sort of personality, either..And if they are ones which have had time honoured rituals surrounding them which were developed by indigenous cultures, PLEASE try your hardest to get approval by any elders, and also see if they will be willing to "guide" you on your journey...

There's a lot of ways to acheive altered states of consciousnes WITHOUT foreign substances also. It's important to investigate these..Using rhythems from drums or specific tones at set intervals can and do induce a trance-like state...Also, when you add lights flashing at different hues and sync this all together, the effect can be tripled..(And THAT, my friends, is one of the reasons why rock and roll shows are the way they are..)

Unlike a lot of other people out there who're caught up in religious aspects of life and death, the possibilities of a hereafter, judgement, etc, and have been taught to fear it, I'm actually looking foreward to death and any possible state of existance which may happen to come with the package. I think it'll be an interesting experience...It's too bad that all the reports that filter back from folks who've been anywhere close to slipping out to the beyond are generally full of symbolisms they've incorporated into their previous lives..but if I can make a request for reincarnation, I'd like to be a Lemur or perhaps a well-cared for dog...Although I'm not sure I'd enjoy licking myself.

Dylan

Forum Rules: