PDA

View Full Version : Heya everyone!

Lullaby
08-31-2002, 07:10 AM
I'm new to the board, yet I'm not new to Zebra who happens to be one of my all-time favorite bands!

I got hooked to them after I first listened to "Who's Behind The Door" back then, just when the album was released. What really grabbed me was Randy Jackson's voice! Truly amazing! I don't know of anyone over here whose cup of tea his voice is, yet I don't care, as long I love it! :)

Anyway, I live in Germany, run the German official website for the band Kamelot and like to spend most of my time listening to good music. Not just any music, no, music that I like. I am very picky, and don't have too many favorite bands. My top three are Symphony X, Rush and Zebra.
My main favorite musical styles are Prog Rock and Prog Metal, Jazz/Fusion, instrumental stuff (drums and guitar). I don't listen to music just for sheer entertainment: It has to "click" instantly.
Music for me doesn't need to be all perfection, technicality, versatility, shreds, growls, grunts, speed...
Music has to strike a chord of my heart strings. Music has to touch my soul. I need feeling, emotion and substance. A song has to "speak" to me in order to make me feel good, whether it'd be with or without lyrics. That sums it up pretty much.

Well, I'm not a regular poster, but I'll drop in here too, promised.

One last thing before I go here for now: I envy all you guys who are able to see Randy and Zebra live so often. :) Seems as if Germany (Europe in general) ain't always the place where one is able to see all the good bands, eh?

By the way,"Arabian Nights" is an epic! I just love it.

Have a nICE day.

Renee

ryank
08-31-2002, 07:35 AM
I agree with the part that music has to grab you, tug at your heart, create emotion, touch your soul. The technical stuff is great if it fits the song, and is not overdone. This might be why you like Rush:) Rush and Zebra have treaded through lots of hardship in the music industry; well, Zebra more than Rush. These are 2 great bands that stand above today's rock bands in my opinion. That would be nice if Zebra could make it to Germany. I'm sure that after people see them live, they will be fans...oh, symphony x. I'm not that familiar with them, but whenever a zebra fan mentions a band, i think it's worth checking out.

Lullaby
08-31-2002, 09:52 AM
I agree. Rush and Zebra stand well above today's rock bands (particularly the hyped-to-death ones). With Rush it's just that lately (well, from the Test For Echo era) they are being bashed for the different sound they have today. I personally love all Rush albums. And "Vapor Trails" is still Rush, only different. It's a "love or hate" thing, I guess.
Same with Zebra. It is actually a shame ;) that only a few people in Europe really appreciate Zebra and what they have done. Zebra are just one highly underrated band. And as for the "love or hate" factor there, it's mainly Randy's voice. I hear stuff from "wailing", "whiny", "eek"..... Seems, as if nobody really gets what kind of crystal clear voice Randy has. Well, I can only speak for the album stuff since I have never had the chance to see Zebra live.

As for Zebra touring in Europe, or at least dropping by for some promotional gigs or visits, that would be kinda like a dream-come-true for me. Funny, how Europeans go overboard for Power Metal and stuff that is "so popular" and overlook some of the real bands, that have been around for so long already (which makes me realize that I am a Zebra fan for 20 years now already - YIKES!). I don't even have any idea as to whether there are any Zebra fans in Germany (or Europe in particular) at all, so that touring would pay off for them. Whenever I have a chance, I make people check out the band, but well.... *sighs* Randy's voice....

However, it's good to see that the Zebra guys are still alive and kicking, doing their thing no matter what anybody says! They just need more support over here, dammit.
At least I have links underneath my signature at another forum. ;)

Have a nICE day.

UB6IB9
08-31-2002, 11:05 AM
check out randyjackson.com...you'll love the covers "Electric Plant" ...The recording is excellent...Live from Freeport ,Long Island ...on the water...Cool People...Cool Music !!!

Sue
08-31-2002, 01:00 PM
Welcome aboard Lullaby...I think you may be this boards first international member, that's awesome ! I agree with alot of what you said about music and bands-it has to grab you. Glad you also share the same opinion as me about Rush/ Vapor Trails. Yes, it is still Rush, they have just traveled a "different road".

Ryank has made a good point...on this board we share common musical bonds, aside from Zebra, most of us like Rush also. Another band you may want to listen to, if you haven't already is a band called Dream Theater. They are a long Island/NY group who were influenced by Zebra. We have tried to open each others eyes here to new bands/music by sharing websites and swapping discs and tapes with one another. There are some talented musicians here on the board that contribute and have shared their music with us.

I happen to be one of the extremely lucky ones who gets to see Randy/Zebra very often. There are members of this board who haven't seen them in over 10 years, and some who have never seen them at all. The members, administrator and moderator are all very good about updating pictures and mp3's/songs to all the sites associated to Zebra. I know it's not the same as being there, but, it's something.

Enjoy !

yleekiyote
08-31-2002, 02:41 PM
Lullaby, check out www.live365.com, keyword zebra. It's an internet radio station that broadcasts alot of zebra tunes, with a mix of other good artists.

Lullaby
08-31-2002, 08:19 PM
Just dropped in quickly to say thanks for now.

First international member? Does that mean I was right about, for example, nobody from Europe? Oh, what a shame.

Well, okay, as far as Dream Theater goes: Yes, I know them. I have seen them 7 times already over here in Germany (since 1994) and have also met the guys, yet my DT has somewhat ended after Awake or ACOS, and that's actually where Symphony X took over, one of my all-time fave bands.
First concert I have ever been at was 1974.
Anyway, let's not go too far off-topic here. ;)

I have 4 Zebra albums and all of them also still as vinyl versions: Zebra, No Tellin Lies, 3.V and Live, and as I said before (LOL), I love Zebra. So I am quite familiar with them anyway.
I have started (of course) downloading from Randy's site also.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. My musical taste is wide.

Gotta rush now. Later.

Have a nICE day.

Michael
08-31-2002, 11:17 PM
Don't feel you are the only one left out Lullaby, Zebra doesn't come up here to the "Beautiful Pacific Northwest." Smile and have a nice day!!

Lullaby
09-01-2002, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Michael
Don't feel you are the only one left out Lullaby, Zebra doesn't come up here to the "Beautiful Pacific Northwest." Smile and have a nice day!!

Really? I thought, mainly Zebra were at least all over the States.
Well, feels good not to be alone in this...

Ok, I didn't wanna make a thread for this, yet, here's where I've just posted something (I am Lady Of The Snow, btw)

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=45540&pagenumber=2

Let's see, if any "Metalheads" or people with "taste" and a sense for music(ians) will reply to it and how... LOL
I can't wait.

If the link don't work, go to UltimateMetal.com > The Music > General Music Discussion > Best Clean Vocalist

Have a nICE day.

OU812
09-01-2002, 10:10 PM
Lullaby you have good taste DREAM THEATER IS EFN GREAT only if the world knew.

Lullaby
09-02-2002, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by OU812
Lullaby you have good taste DREAM THEATER IS EFN GREAT only if the world knew.

Yet, I think the world knows already, since they're labeled pretty much "The Kings Of Prog"...
When you ask ppl over here, "Are you familiar with Prog Rock?", everyone goes like, "Yeah, Dream Theater!" :(

I wonder, if Symphony X will ever reach their status *prays*

OU812
09-03-2002, 10:42 AM
THE GREAT THING ABOUT D.T. IS THERE IS NO COMPETITION.

ZEBRAFREAK
09-03-2002, 12:59 PM
DREAM THEATER--ONE OF THE BEST BANDS I'VE EVER SEEN OR HEARD!!!!

OU812
09-03-2002, 02:41 PM
IF YOU WANT TO SEE AND HERE PERFECTION GO SEE THEM GUYS. THIS BAND WAS BUILT BY GOD.

ZEBRAFREAK
09-03-2002, 10:46 PM
LULLABY YOU HAVE TO GET CHINA RAIN-BED OF NAILS...IT'S A SOLO PROJECT BY RANDY...IT KICKS ASS AND THAT SONG PSYCHADELIC SEX REACTION FROM THE RANDY SITE IS ON IT...ALSO ONE OF THE SONGS FROM THE NEW ZEBRA CD THAT'S COMING OUT "LIGHT OF YOUR LOVE" IS ON CHINA RAIN...ZEBRA DID A REMAKE FOR THE NEW CD!!!