PDA

View Full Version : The Sign CD

banterman
08-10-2002, 12:52 AM
I'd be interested in anyone's opinions of the Sign CD. Also, does anyone know how different the Japanese import is? The website sells this version for $30 (including signed RJ poster) as opposed to the regular $15 version and says it's the original "clean" master. I read reviews that complained about the production quality of this album so i wonder if the Japanese one sounds much better, and how worthwhile the extra track is from the Japanese version.

JUKEBOX HERO
08-10-2002, 07:58 AM
the japanese version is much clearer. by the way, the new sign cd will be out in 2003.

banterman
08-10-2002, 09:51 PM
Thanks, hero. What record label is the Japanese one on? and do you know of a way to get it other than theDoor.com? I'd rather spend less than $30 and not get the Randy poster. I haven't donned my room with posters of guitar heroes in a number of years, and I'm content to see him live or in the album artwork.

ryank
08-10-2002, 09:57 PM
As a whole, I don't like it. There's a few good moments, but i don't feel it. I mean, I listen, and i want to be hit with something, but it doesn't happen. I just don't find myself putting it in my cd player that much. Soundwise, it's great. I don't necessarily judge music on production/quality. > A good tune and good performance is hard to hide no matter what it's recorded on. I'd rather hear a recording done on a cheap tape recorder of a live, kick ass, soulful band, than to hear an overproduced cd with generic songs, that cost thousands to make, and where the parts were recorded separately/mailed to different members. Hey, this is just my opinion.

JUKEBOX HERO
08-10-2002, 11:28 PM
banterman,
i was given the japanese version of the sign. i couldnt tell you where to get one. maybe ask randy.

OU812
08-11-2002, 12:03 AM
I with ryank on this one as much as i want to find something good about the songs on the cd i cant . Its week .

ryank
08-11-2002, 09:56 AM
banterman, i have a jap copy; no artwork, etc. On page 3 of this forum, i posted a photo. I'll post it again, below. Contact me, if you're interested. >click photo>>>>>http://www.thedoor.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=1531

banterman
08-11-2002, 10:31 AM
do you mean to say that you're selling your copy, mate? If I knew how to contact you outside of these postings I would.

ryank
08-11-2002, 11:41 AM
in the future, for e-mails, you can click on someone's profile button at the bottom of the post. my mail is moe120@webtv.net

Zebra4Life
08-11-2002, 05:32 PM
They sell for $25 at the shows, if there are any copies. You could probably find it online.

OU812
08-19-2002, 12:54 AM
JUST E MAIL RANDY HE HAS TONS OF THEM TO SELL.

JUKEBOX HERO
08-19-2002, 07:55 AM
in case anyone is interested. the new sign cd should be out sometime in the beginning of 2003

OU812
08-21-2002, 10:36 AM
Randy said last night that the next sign cd will be different then the last one that was done to sound like a journey cd. Maybe this time the songs will come from the gut and not from the head

banterman
08-21-2002, 12:06 PM
are you saying that the last one was like Journey or the next one will be? i haven't hear the last one yet.

ryank
08-21-2002, 01:42 PM
okay, track number 11 "desperate hearts" is an obvious rip off of anyway you want it (journey). What i don't understand is: Did they think we wouldn't notice? Or, are they giving tribute to journey, or they ran out of riffs? Now, you can tell they changed it a bit to not make it too obvious by delaying the 3rd chord, i think. I don't know, this sort of stuff turns me off. I do like the beginning of the cd; when they're hanging on that one chord. I never was into concept albums either. I still don't really understand what this whole album is about(the theme, aryon, etc.), and that may be part of the problem. I don't want to think, i want to pop it in and enjoy. Some people like a story/common theme throughout the album, but in this case? I think that brilliant songs can be simple. Look, i do feel bad about these comments, because randy is my man, but i really tried to like this cd, and couldn't/can't get into it. While i'm at it, I'll tell you a couple of other things that bother me. When i heard that they recorded parts separately, i wasn't impressed. Where's the band chemistry, the energy, etc. And these days, everything, and mostly the guitar distortion sound so neat and clean. And everything just seems watered down with all this technology. I think that sometimes bands get away from what sounds good to fans, and they get hung up on the latest technlogy. I think alot of character is lost with this technology. Ain't nuthin wrong with a noisy guitar every once in a while. Stick a mic in front of your amp, play as band, and record the basic track together. I don't know, maybe this type of music (the sign) requires everything to sound the way it does. I just don't know what they were trying to accomplish with this cd? I'm not saying that everything has to be noisy, because i listen to more mellow music these days. Just make it real. I still listen to lots of classic stuff, and live recordings. I like the uniqueness of the sound.

OU812
08-21-2002, 02:19 PM
The guy who put that band together had in mine to release the cd in markets around the world that the music was still selling . The cd was never released in the states. THE SIGN PROJECT WAS KINDA LIKE ROLL THE DICE THING AND HOPE.

banterman
08-26-2002, 09:59 PM
First of all, many thanks to Ryank for getting me a copy of this disk (Japanese even!) so I could finally hear it and chime in on the thread that I started.

First of all, I'd have to say I disagree with the notion of this being 80s sounding. Hell, I'd say it's 70s sounding! That's not a bad thing in my book. If I had to compare it to any one band it would be Kansas much more so than Journey. Damian, re: track I see what you mean about it sounding like "Any Way You Want It" but I doubt it was a conscious ripoff. Being a musician you're probably aware that it often just happens that way.

As for what I think of the album, I think the integrity is 100% there, which I can't say for China Rain which I thought was largely a sellout effort (although I like the more Zep-esque tunes like "Only Lonely Today" and "Light of My Love"). I really like the leadoff track and I think it sets a good progressive rock tone. I have always loved the fact that Zebra is one of the few 80s hard rock bands to incorporate prog rock influences as they do on "La la," "WBTD," "Mind's Open," etc. I am not the least bit bothered by the way the songs were written and recorded (separately, not as a "live" band) but there are a few things about this CD that I don't dig.

One is the lead singer. Great voice if that's what you're into, but too polished for me. Sounds kind of cheesy to me. i love it when at times you hear Randy's voice in there, but the lead singer in this band sounds like he needs to listen to some blues records for the next 6 months before he sings again. The other thing I don't like is the lyrics the guy is singing. Again, way too cheesy for me. Definitely the lyrics remind me of the worst songs by Boston, from their later albums (the 1st 2 Boston albums are AOK with me). Musically, however, I think this stuff is great. I only wish there was a different guy singing and writing the words.

As for the sound quality, I saw a few reviews which complained about this, but of course they had the U.S. versions. This Japanese version def. sounds great. I don't get why this version wasn't what was released everywhere.

So there you have it. My opinion. And thanks again Damian!

ryank
08-26-2002, 11:06 PM
dang man, u makin feel bad about my comments/review(, u makin me go listen to it again. Seriously, I like the sound, and i'd probably buy the next sign cd. I just don't think this comes close to any zebra albums. I'm just a little confused about the direction. It may be because, in the back of my mind, i was expecting a zebra sounding cd, or i'm just sore that it's not the new zebra cd? I didn't say anything about brock's voice, cuz i thought maybe i was missing something, because i know he's an experienced guy, but i don't care for those vocals either, especially the "oh no" at the end of track one. I just don't want to come off as being a nasty guy, and who am i to judge them? Instead of another sign project, I'd like to see/hear electric plant throw together some tunes. I've read somewhere that randy has tons of songs/ideas that never saw the light of day; like 400 or something. and ofcourse i'd like to hear the new zebra. Gosh, it almost seems like tabu to mention it now.

GreggCo
08-27-2002, 07:38 AM
I'm starting to like the Sign more and more. Although Desperate Hearts kinda sounds like something Journey or Night Ranger would do, I believe that Signs of Life, Aryon, the Weight and especially Stranded could have made the cut on a Zebra recording

sarcastic1
08-27-2002, 11:22 AM
i played the sign a lot when i first got it. never loved it but thought it was good. put it away for a couple of months and took it out the other day played it again, it was like a long lost friend. really enjoyed listening and singing along while driving. great cd for the road.

GreggCo
08-27-2002, 11:27 AM
if you really listen to the lyrics, its actually very inspirational, and even spiritual at times.

OU812
08-27-2002, 01:57 PM
I think the big problem is we all want so bad to say that the SIGN cd is a very good cd because randys in the band. The fact is its not a good cd the music is to predictable . Its not a crappy cd but it needs a ton of work . I think you should base your review on the song quality. ask your self this question IF RANDY WAS NOT IN THE BAND AND SOME ONE GAVE YOU THE CD WHAT WOULD BE YOUR OPINION OF IT.

GreggCo
08-27-2002, 02:05 PM
my opinion: with Randy the CD is an 8
if no Randy I'd only give it a 5. Randy's vocals and guitars go a long way here. Good point OU812, also we should say if Randy wasnt in The Sign, none of us would have remotely heard of the other musicians, except Rondinelli.......

OU812
08-28-2002, 10:45 PM
Maybe the next cd will be better and more orignal.

Lullaby
09-02-2002, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by OU812
ask your self this question IF RANDY WAS NOT IN THE BAND AND SOME ONE GAVE YOU THE CD WHAT WOULD BE YOUR OPINION OF IT.

That's a good point! I echo that!

I have to deal with this all the time, lately with Symphony X again. When asked in a thread about favorite musicians, and I was stating my faves, I was asked why the bass player of Symphony X wasn't included.
Well, being a fan of band doesn't necessarily mean, I'd have to automatically include all the band members of my favorite bands, does it?

And the same about an album. Even though one of my favorite musicians is a guest musician, doesn't necessarily mean I like the album or would buy it, just because...
I'd go for the album, not for the names on it.

It's the music that counts.

OU812
09-03-2002, 10:39 AM
YEP TWO POINTS MADE Lullaby..

banterman
09-03-2002, 11:19 PM
well, I've listened to the album a few more times and i still feel the same way, which is to say that i think it is lyrically weak overall. Although the lyrics attempt to be inspirational, I find them to be very cliche.

HOWEVER, I do want to echo that I LOVE the first track! It is one of the finest pieces of music I've heard any band generate in a long time. It even out-prog rocks anything Yes has done on their last several releases. And it so happens that this is the song where Randy does the most singing. I wasn't even reallly thinking about that when I intially singled that tune out for praise, but I can say that it is without bias that I think this song kicks ass and is miles above the quality level of the rest of the tunes.

Since Randy seems to have really put his 2 cents into the leadoff track and it's the only track I like that much, I'd have to say that this would be an inferior album without him. At any rate, I'd rather an album with 1 really great song than 1 with a bunch of OK songs.

ZEBRAFREAK
09-03-2002, 11:29 PM
"STRANDED" IS ALSO A GREAT SONG AND RANDY SINGS ON THAT ONE TOO!!! I HAVE THE SAME COPY AS RYAN AND I DIDN'T KNOW IT WAS THE JAP VERSION...RANDY GAVE IT TO ME AND EXPLAINED HE REMASTERED IT HIMSELF...HE ASKED ME TO LISTEN TO IT AND TELL HIM IF I LIKED IT BETTER...I THINK IT SOUNDS A LITTLE BETTER BECAUSE I GUESS HE DID A LITTLE EQ MAGIC BUT OTHER THAN THAT IT'S BASICALLY THE SAME...

banterman
09-03-2002, 11:40 PM
thanks for the info, Freak. Maybe I'll hire Randy to master my next album (or remaster my past ones!)

ZEBRAFREAK
09-03-2002, 11:44 PM
HE SURELY KNOWS HIS STUFF!!!
I BELIEVE HE PRODUCED THE NEW UPCOMING ZEBRA CD ALL BY HIMSELF!!!

OU812
09-04-2002, 04:08 PM
randy did the whole thing with NO IN PUT FROM GUY OR FELIX.

ZEBRAFREAK
09-05-2002, 01:44 AM
RANDY BASICALLY DOES IT HIMSELF IN HIS SPARE TIME...FELIX AND GUY LISTEN AND GIVE THUMBS UP OR THUMBS DOWN...HE HAS THE STUDIO AT HOME AND MAYBE FELIX WILL COME OVER BUT IT MUST BE HARD FOR GUY TO ACTUALLY BE THERE!!! THIS IS JUST WHAT I THINK MUST HAPPEN...I'VE NEVER ASKED!!!

OU812
09-05-2002, 01:49 AM
I THINK RANDY WILL DO A GOOD JOB WITH THE WHOLE SOUND FROM LOW END TO HIGH END.

ZEBRAFREAK
09-05-2002, 01:55 AM
IS THIS GONNA BE AN ALL NIGHTER OU812!!!

OU812
09-05-2002, 01:58 AM
WELL LETS SEE OLD TIMES IS IT ? IM AWAKE IM ON MY 5TH TEQUIZA BEER ........ LETS ROCK.

ZEBRAFREAK
09-05-2002, 02:00 AM
I WISH I COULD...GOTTA GET THE KIDS UP IN THE AM AND SEND THEM OFF TO SCHOOL...MONDAY NIGHT IS BEST FOR ME THESE DAY...NO MORE STRIKE MEANS LESS FUN MORE WORK!!!

OU812
09-05-2002, 02:19 AM
OK ZF IM GLAD YOUR BACK. I DOPE YOUR ...OOPS I MENT HOPE YOU ARE DIGGING YOUR NEW HOUSE.

ZEBRAFREAK
09-05-2002, 02:29 AM
DIGGING...PAINTING...MOWING...NAILING...BUT NO SCREWING!!!

OU812
09-05-2002, 02:31 AM
MAKE HER DRINK A LOT OF ALCOHAL FAST .

ZEBRAFREAK
09-05-2002, 02:34 AM
MARRY 'EM!!! BUY 'EM A HOUSE!!! WHEN THE PAYOFF COME!!!

OU812
09-05-2002, 02:36 AM
WHEN YOU MET HER ........ SHE WAS A BUNDLE OF JOY AND NOW.SATAN

ZEBRAFREAK
09-05-2002, 02:40 AM
NOT REALLY BUT I WANT THE CHICKS TO FEEL BAD FOR ME AND CUDDLE WITH ME!!!

OU812
09-05-2002, 02:53 AM
RULE (1) MUST USE SOPE (2) FRESH BREATH (3) RUBBERS.